As far as bang for the buck goes sometimes it’s hard to beat a hybrid BC Racing coilover/Universal Air Suspension bag combo. This setup, even completed with top of the line management from Accuair, comes in under the cost of some of the other brands’ less featured offerings.
While not ideal for every platform because of the universal nature of the bags; for some chassis, like the LS460 shown, the combo does everything you need.
Shown with custom wrinkle black powdercoated brackets.
The perfect way to start the new year. This year OG will be refocusing on suspension, and here’s a perfect example of us doing what we do best. Kim pulled his car out of another shop when he was unhappy with the progress and quality of work. He brought it to Original Garage not quite sure of the future for the Z34. Eventually, it was decided that the car would be shipped to Cali to be an R&D car for a suspension company, but first it had to get on a transport trailer (the car was low, with non-functional Roberuta cups, and has so much camber that the truck drivers wanted nothing to do with it). After 2 failed attempts it was decided that we would have to redo the joke of an install just to get the Z on it’s voyage. So here we go, another “basic” install:
The first issue was an extreme lack of room in the engine bay. We originally purchased some basic install components but it became obvious that they were going to be to bulky to fit in the available space. After some searching we decided to go with a Monster 400 series circuit breaker and 300 series slim terminal and connectors. These high end pieces cost a little money, but one thing about Kim; if I could explain why he needed it he bought it.
We also decided to “upgrade” the manual Roberuta setup to an electric valve from UAS. I put upgrade in quotations because I am actually a fan of the simplicity of manual setups. In this case it was simply a matter of room, there wasn’t enough to fit the supplied buttons or a traditional paddle switch. Instead we opted for the simple beauty of a small single electric switch mounted in a blank cover. No gauge, no F/B/S/S, no auto leveling; just a couple of inches of lift up front when you need it.
Not pictured is the fully loomed harness laying behind the Z’s plastic panels. Sure I could have just laid down some wire and tucked it out of sight, but the bare minimum is not what we’re about.
On to the trunk. Nothing to fancy here, just basic done in a better-than-basic manner. We decided that there was really no point in keeping the spare, since a flat on this beast will definitely require some AAA assistance, so we scrapped it. We did, however, need to keep the factory Bose sub enclosure in place so a lower level trunk board was built and components arranged in a manner to facilitate it.
All the electrical connections are at one point, so removing this board is as easy as undoing a couple quick connects and some set screws. Real world functionality and maintainability are always priorities for us.
Functional hatch space was important to Celestak, so a 2 piece false floor was made out of 3/4″ birch (we never use MDF; birch is stronger, lighter, and more durable), with a ventilating window for the compressor and a dual purpose opening for the child seat anchor/handle included. I wanted to get away from the use of visual hinges so everything is pressure fit thanks to some router work.
Here it is assembled from the opposite angle. It’s a tight fit, but nothing was left out and everything is well executed. I don’t foresee this install ever having any issues other than normal wear and tear, and when you design with that in mind it’s not really a big deal when it happens. Any component of this install could be swapped out within minutes.
Happy new year since I missed it. For 2K12 you can expect to see more suspension work of this quality (or better if anyone ever let’s me really go in) as well as some exciting changes on the media side. We started out better, so the only thing left is to be the undisputed best.